I was asked to briefly address the prize winners of the GDN and CO-Gas Safety competition in Committee Room 10 at the House of Commons on Tuesday. I’ve been involved with the judging of this for many years – my way of giving something back to the charity CO-Gas Safety for their support and help after we suffered from the effects of low level CO exposure in 2003.
Up to now, it’s been run as a poster competition for primary school children. The Gas Distribution Networks have taken over the project and under new rules, it can involve any form of creative expression to highlight the dangers of CO – so pick what you’re good at. It’s now also divided into KS1 and KS2.
This sort of initiative is important as it gets the message out there through the kids, it informs them of the dangers of CO and helps them keep their families and friends safe.
Key points are:
Get your gas appliances regularly checked.
Install a CO detector (smoke detector is not the same thing).
Learn how to recognize the symptoms.
Know what to do when a leak occurs.
With that in mind, please go to the site Katie Haines Trust and use the drop down menu ‘Carbon Monoxide’. There’s a few videos on the home page as well, but read the hard facts first.